Day Of Service 2011
Sunday, September 11th 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Every fall, Hands On Tokyo organizes an annual event called Day Of Service (DOS) which engages over 200 volunteers in larger-scale service activities to meet needs raised by our partners. This year, in light of the recent East Japan Earthquake, DOS projects focused on increasing awareness and supporting the reconstruction & rebuilding of Tohoku areas.
Location: Former Iikura Elementary School DOS poster with map
Minato-ku Higashi Azabu 2-1-1
5-min walk from Akabane Station (Oedo Line)
10-min walk from Kamiyacho Station (Hibiya Line)
Admission Fee: Free!!
Thank you very much for coming to the DOS.
Because of your support and generosity, we were able to donate approx. 300,000 yen to Ishinomaki City!
DOS Program Description
Highlight #1: Two guest speakers from Tohoku gave a 40-minute presentation
** Guest Speaker #1: Mr. Yuya Kimura
- Kinoya Canning Factory in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture
- Presentation: 11:00 AM - 11:40 AM
- About: How the tsunami affected Kinoya Canning Factory and their past, present, and future rebuilding efforts
** Guest Speaker #2: Mr. Taiken Hatayama (Buddhist monk)
- Buddhist Monk at ManshoTemple in Ishinomaki, Miyagi Prefecture
- Presentation Time: 1:00 PM - 1:40 PM
- About: Voices of the affected people and their experiences.
Highlight #2: Food booths include: popcorn, cotton candy, yakisoba, franks, shaved ice, and drinks
Highlight #3: Store booths included: Bake Sale, special goods from Tohoku (canned fish from Kinoya Canning Factory,goods made from inkstone, snacks, handmade bracelets, handmade scourer, etc)
Highlight #4: Game booths included: Mr. Kurosaki's magic show, scooping game, balloon art, etc.
Highlight #5: Tribute art section (photos of Tohoku, photos of HOT disaster relief projects, and art pieces from Wakabaryo Children's Home, Minano Hiroba "Wakaba", Fujisawa Ikusei Kai, and Willowbrook International School.
Please click here for the DOS poster with map.
We recruited volunteers for the following days:
- Friday, Sept. 9th 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM Gymnasium set up
- Saturday, Sept. 10th 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM Schoolyard set up
- Sunday, Sept. 11th 9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Prep for the event
10:00 AM - 3:00 PM Main event
3:00 PM - 7:00 PM Clean up